Mathew is a dedicated software engineer with a professional approach to his programming. With a well rounded understanding of business requirements as well as excellent technical competence, he is able to translate client requirements accurately into his software development. He has a high attention to detail and a starter-finisher attitude.
Mathew has twin interests in both the human aspect of software engineering as well as the technical underpinnings. He is interested in how we can enable more natural and seamless interaction with computers using novel interaction methods and good product design. Simultaneously, he is very interested in the technical understanding that under- pins these solutions, and the architectures that make them possible. He draws on his experience in photography, music and graphic design to add creative flair to his scientific pursuits.
Outside of this work, Mathew enjoys challenging his own fitness, through a variety of different sports, principally squash. He also enjoys exploring the world, traveling to new destinations and experiencing different cultures wherever possible. Principally, his big- gest drive is finding the next difficult challenge.
- Proven leadership skills through both group projects and teaching experiences
- Proven ability to deliver above and beyond project requirements, on time.
- Strong desire to mentor and teach those who want to learn
- Ruby (and Rails)
Software Engineering Skills
- Many Software Design Methodologies (Architectural and Low Level Design)
- Algorithms and Data Structures (Including concurrency and distributed systems approaches)
- Functional Programming
- Software Development and Testing Methodologies
- Discrete Mathematics and Logic (Propositional and Predicate)
- Operating System Structure and Network Services
- Version Control Systems (GIT, SVN, Mercurial)
- Proven ability for self directed learning, coupled with a burning desire to learn new techniques and methods (including programming languages).
Masters of Software Engineering
The University of Melbourne 2014 - Current (Completion in November 2015)
- A.J. Francis Scholarship awarded for 2014 (Top 2 students across all Masters of Engineering Disciplines).
- Completed first semester with first class honours (>80%) for all subjects.
- Deans Honour List for 2014 (top 5% of all Masters Students).
Search Inside Yourself Leadership Program Sydney
Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute March 2015
- Developed competencies in mindful leadership.
Bachelor of Science - Software Engineering
The University of Melbourne 2011 - 2013
- Deans Honour List for 2013.
- Average over 80% for Computer Science subjects.
Victorian Certificate of Education
Eltham College of Education 2010
- Completed first year university studies in Chemistry.
Billcap October 2014 - Current
- Lead the complete re-design and implementation of previous `startup` system into a well designed, modularised and efficient system.
- Develop Software as a Service solutions using Ruby on Rails and Python for Electricity Retailers and Businesses whose operations revolve around Energy.
Head Tutor and Subject Coordinator
The University of Melbourne July 2013 - Current
- Tutored second and third year subjects within the Computing and Information Systems (CIS) department, including Object Oriented Software Development (SWEN2003), Graphics and Interaction (COMP30019) and Software Modelling and Design (SWEN30006)
All subjects required the following duties
For Software Modelling and Design (SWEN30006) additional duties were
- Running workshops and tutorials of up to 50 students
- Responding to student enquires and helping students solve their problems.
- Marking student submissions
- Developing project and workshop materials
- Developing supplementary learning materials and lectures to teach the Ruby programming language (as it was not covered in the course)
- Delivered lectures on both the Ruby language and the Rails framework
The University of Melbourne June 2013 - September 2013
- Worked on development of an online education platform (the Melbourne University Game Learning Experience, MUGLE) using Google Web Toolkit and App Engine funded by Google.
JB HiFi - Greensborough April 2011 - August 2014
- Supervising and mentoring new staff members along with providing on the job training to both new and existing staff in camera, I.T. and telecommunication products and procedures
Snaps Photography September 2010 - February 2014
- Developed business from its inception
- Strong technical and artistic photographic knowledge
References and Work Samples
References are available on request
Samples of previous work are also available on request, note there are some publicly accessible repositories on the GIT account shown in the contact details, however due to commercial requirements and/or intellectual property requirements not all work can be made publicly available.